This week, Bluefin attended the 50th Association of Fundraising Professionals Conference in San Diego. As expected, it was a packed house with organizations of every industry represented, from faith-based, to humanitarian, to animal welfare. But what struck our team this year was the program emphasis on new ways to online fundraise. Let’s face it – fundraising isn’t about mail order anymore. The most successful organizations have a comprehensive online marketing plan and convenient tools for consumers to donate.
Which is why Bluefin, which serves over 1,200 non-profit and faith-based organizations, offers unique and highly secure options for online giving. So what exactly is the rise? In their 2012 index, Blackbaud found:
- Overall giving grew approximately 2% in 2012
- Online giving grew by about 11% last year compared with 2011
- Online fundraising accounted for 7% of all giving in 2012, an increase from 2011
- Small nonprofits had the greatest increase in overall fundraising in 2012, while medium-sized organizations led online
- Giving throughout 2012 treaded water, then got a year-end boost from Hurricane Sandy relief efforts
Our thoughts? Online is definitely an area that will continue to grow as more non-profit organizations learn how to engage and raise money effectively through this online channel.